Friday, November 03, 2006

What did you have for dinner last night?

I made a pretty good-looking, Rachel Ray 30-minute Shepard's Pie last night. Since Kevin's been sick I decided I'd attempt to cook a dinner for him. It's been a long time, I'm a bit rusty but the grocery delivery helped. SPUD.ca, it's the shit! It involves some pre-planning which is hard to adjust to at first. Delivery is once a week on Thursdays so we have to know what we want for the week and order it before 9 AM Tuesday. I think it's worth going through this adjustment to not have to go to the grocery store every week. I despise grocery stores and shopping! I don't even want to start trying to explain how much I hate it cuz I'm afraid I'll waste all my blog space on this negative thing. I'd rather use SPUD. SPUD makes me happy!

Moving on... What made this dinner extra special was I used Kevin's new favourite cook, Rachel Ray's, cookbook, Comfort Foods. We first saw her on the Food Network in St. Lucia, on our hangover day when we sat and watched TV all day, guilt-free. Her methods are fabulous, the recipes need some spicing up. I was impressed with the 45-minute preparation and cooking time, not so impressed with the lack of flavour. Next time I'll add some chilis or Frank's Red Hot and more Worcestershire to the gravy.

If you don't know Rachel yet you will soon, the big news on the radio this morning was that Martha Stewart did her part to shine the limelight Rachel's way this week. It's a funny story. Martha was actually dissin' her cuz she stole her guest star and aired it the same day. Poor Martha, she's not her regular, organized self since she's been to prison and back. Rachel must be famous though, there's a "Rachel Ray Sucks Community" blog going strong. The thing that surprises me it 's 3 years old! What dedication!

I couldn't find anything online about who the guest was (I wonder if it was Barry Manilow?). If I was Martha I'd fight for him too. Anyway, I copied this bit below from a New York Daily News article for your (and my) amusement.

Two household names
Rachael Ray has been called the next Martha Stewart. But are they really that alike? We hash out the kitchen queens.
By JOE DZIEMIANOWICZ, New York Daily News

Martha Stewart
Food career start: Caterer
Philosophy in a nutshell: Aspirational - your dish-soap container should be a work of art
Signature saying: "It's a good thing!"
Cheesecake recipe: Bakes a mean raspberry-swirl cheesecake
Pictures of self in current issue: 6
Accessories: Recently ditched ankle bracelet

Rachael Ray
Food career start: Waitress
Philosophy in a nutshell: Accessible - who has time for measuring cups? Half a palmful will do
Signature saying: "Yum-O!," "Oh my gravy!"
Cheesecake recipe: Hates baking, but posed in skimpy outfits in the October 2003 issue of lad mag FHM
Pictures of self in current issue: 15
Accessories: Recently donned wedding ring

Ooops, I've run out of time. Halloween will have to wait 'til another day.

No comments: